Monday, February 23, 2009

Seafood and Wine Fest AND a trip to Cancun

Seriously, what a great weekend!
We've been planning this weekend for a while, but we got more than we even expected! It was the weekend of the Seafood and Wine Festival in Newport. But, instead of going to Newport, Trav and I decided to have our own seafood and wine fest at home! We got Alaskan King Crab legs, clam chowder, and Italian bread and cheese to make crab melts!
When we got home for shopping, my mom called to tell me that she and my dad just finished booking an all-inclusive trip to a resort in Cancun. I was so jealous! Just earlier that day I had texted Trav saying how just one year ago we were planning our trip to our all-inclusive just a little south of Cancun and how badly I wanted to go back!!
So I had mom that they were so lucky and going to have so much fun! She said, "Do you guys want to come with us?" "Of course we do mom but we don't have the money saved for that right now.... (when we went it was $2400, and another $100 in tips and travel expenses)", "Well," she said, "What if we paid half?" I couldn't believe my ears! Things like this never happen to Trav and I!! We rarely get handouts! Not that we aren't incredibly blessed, but we work hard for what we get! Really hard. I stuttered, "Are you serious? How much is half?" She said, "$1050.00" "NO WAY!, That is such a great deal!!!" "Yep, talk it over with Trav and call me back." "Ok!"
So I walked up to Trav......baby, can we go to Cancun with my parents? They'll pay half so our part will only be about $1000! He asked how much we had in our vacation budget, so I went and checked and we had $950!! If we saved our weekend money for the next couple weekends we'd have enough! WAHOOO! Trav and I are so excited. We had so much fun on our last all-inclusive and my parents are so much fun to travel with!
So, March 23rd we are heading to Cancun until the 30th. Sunshine, beaches, all you can eat and drink, pool bars, and evening shows, HERE WE COME!
Saturday we slept in until it was time to meet our dog trainer. He arrived right on time, and evaluated Emma. He gave her a temperament test and found out that she is not aggressive, which is great! He said she is a good dog, but she has an attitude! A little sas! Ha, I KNEW it.
He taught us a few commands to help, and a few ways to handle her to get her to respond to us better. We'll start the real obedience training in about a month.
After our meeting we took Emma with us on our 2 mile walk/jog. We did more walking for her, but she had a lot of fun and when she got home she went right to sleep! Our trainer said we should take her for 2 miles a day, and I think it will really help!
We got home and got ready for our day of wine and seafood!
We met my parents, Aunt Chrissy, and Grandma and went to Honeywood in the early afternoon to do some tasting and pick up a few bottles. On our way home we stopped at Willamette Valley to do some more tasting. It was really fun. We got home at about 5 and started cooking the crab! We had tons of crab!! We made crab melts, asparagus, and each had a king crab leg! We completely forgot about the chowder until everything else was almost done, so we put it on the stove and ate everything else, finishing off the meal with chowder! It was all SO good!
We continued drinking. My dad and Trav had red wine, while my mom, aunt, grandma, and myself stuck to the honeywood. We had triple berry, blueberry, ollaliaberry, and Riesling! We played Apples to Apples and had a great time just laughing and drinking.
Everyone headed out a little after 9, and Trav and I kept the party going with Yahtzee and Rock Band until about 2 am!
It was a great night, in true Seafood and Wine Festival form!
Sunday we recovered from Saturday, and got all our chores and errands done. And we did a lot of dreaming about Cancun!
It was a really great weekend. Emma is growing up, and into a really good dog! She hardly ever goes potty in the house anymore. She never did much, but now she is really good about going to the door and if we don't notice her she'll come over and whine at us and walk back over to the door. Like, come on guys, I really have to go!! She's not keeping us up at night at all anymore, which is great. Trav still gets up at 3 to let her out, but she goes right back to sleep after going potty. She brings us lots of smiles. :)
28 days till Cancun time!!!

No comments: