Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Seafood and Wine Festival 2008

Ahhhh, Tuesday....
Well, let me start at last Thursday. Trav and I woke up and found a problem with Kayden. Yes, another one! We had no idea what was going on, but it looked like the end of his tail (whats left of it) was just falling off, stitches and all. It was loose and we could see in the gap that the flesh underneath was red. I thought that somehow he had just rubbed it off and figured that if it came off all the way it would tear his stitches out again and we'd be in for another surgery. Our last shot.
My heart was very heavy. It was so hard to work that day. I felt like I could barely breath. Trav called the vet and set an appointment for 3:45 that afternoon. The day seemed to drag on forever. At 4:30 when my phone rang I was so afraid to answer it....what were they going to say? Trav immediately told me that the news was not to bad. Thank God!
The vet said that sometimes the end will just fall off because the wound has started healing underneath it. She just pulled the end right off, and said that the wound actually looked really good. It is healing nicely. But she said this is the most critical time for us to make sure he can't get at it. The flesh is very weak and if he gets at it and breaks it open, we will be back again and the news could be bad. Trav and I were so relieved that at least at that moment things were ok.
The vet said that it was very important that we keep in bandaged when we are sleeping or not home and to air it out (but watch him closely) when we are there. That night we bandaged it up like normal and went to bed.
I woke up at 3 when Kayden got up to eat. I couldn't believe it but it didn't look like the bandage was on. I asked Trav to turn the light on, and sure enough, no bandage. The end of his tail was very smooth now so there was really nothing to hold the bandage on. We'd tried tape previously, but it wouldn't really stick to his fur. Oh great! We bandaged it up again and went back to bed. We woke up and again, no bandage...they were just sliding right off.
Well, we couldn't leave him with that brand new fresh weak flesh all day with no bandage. Trav called his boss and told him he was going to have to stay home.
When I got home, Trav went shopping for a tape that would stick while I babysat the kitty. Our plans that weekend for going to the Seafood and Wine Festival had disappeared before our eyes. We couldn't leave Kayden if his bandages weren't even sticking!
That evening Trav told me he would be happy to stay with Kayden, and that I should join my best friend Air and her BF K at the festival. I couldn't believe how sweet he was to even offer that, but no way was I going to leave him with that responsibility while I went out and had fun! He insited so I finally gave in.
I drove to the coast Saturday morning and got there at about 10:30. It was beautiful weather!! We headed to the fest at 11:30 and the wine drinking began! We had a lot of fun, although I really missed Trav!! Air, K and I stayed until closing before heading back to the condo! When we got back K cooked a crab for dinner and after dinner and more wine we headed to Apollos for more drinking! We lasted about an hour before coming home and crashing into bed at 9!!!
I got up at 8 and drove home.
Kayden is looking pretty good! I think it will boosted his healing to have it air out all weekend! Thanks Trav! I am hoping and praying that the skin at least grows over it before we leave for our trip to Mexico! I think it's very possible!
So, now I'm just in the middle of another work week....
This Friday Trav and I are taking my parents out for my dad's bday! We're taking him to his favorite restaurant, Bentley's in Salem. I'm looking forward to it! Other than that, we will just be babysitting Kayden all weekend....and I'll most likely start packing!!
Have a good week!

No comments: