Thursday, July 5, 2007

4th of July and a car crash

I can't believe how much has happened lately! Tuesday, July 3rd, I left the house a little earlier than normal to head to work. Travis had a big meeting on the other side of town, so he had to leave early, so I did the same.
It was a beautiful day, I was enjoying the weather, sipping my coffee. I just just getting ready to turn into our business park, but a semi truck was coming the opposite direction and of course he wanted to turn into the same place and had the right of way, so I stopped and waiting for him to turn. I heard screech noises so I looked in my rear view mirror and all I could see was a cloud of smoke and someone coming at me fast. In a split second he slammed into me, pushing my car sideways and a good 10 feet forward. I looked around the car, saw that I was ok and just felt rage building inside me. Growing up, my dad always had liability insurance on our cars, and I have since followed in his footsteps. All I could think about was the millions of times he told me that liability covers the other persons car, but not yours. I was reluctant to get out and see how much damage I would be paying to replace.
When I got out and went to the back of my car, I was amazed that I wasn't hurt...amazed that they didn't need an ambulance to take me away. The trunk of my car was completely caved in in the middle, to where it was touching the back seat. The frame in the back had been hit so hard that it sliced into my back tires and flattened them on impact. It was stuck in the tires, so the car couldn't roll. The frame had also gone over the back doors so they would not open. It was messed up. All I could think was that it was totaled and now I had no car. I called 911, then I called Travis, then my mom, and then my dad. The police were there in about 5 minutes, Travis showed up a few minutes after that, and my dad shortly after him. No one could believe how hard he had hit me. Finally, I realized that since the accident was HIS fault, his insurance would at least have to pay me. That calmed me down quite a bit!
It took an hour to get all the police reports filed, the tow truck to come haul my car away, and the mess cleaned up. I went to the DMV after all that to file the report there. I got back to the office at about 10, Travis brought me lunch at noon, and I had a doctors appointment at 2:30. In between all this, I was getting phone calls from both insurance companies, and from friends and family. It's nice knowing that so many people care about me!
Anyway, that whole process is still in the works! I got a rental, but I'm auguring with them about paying for the insurance that is REQUIRED for me to get....they don't want to pay it. What the heck?? I'm not going to pay it!! Anyway, I'm sure this will be a long, drawn out process.
Yesterday, I woke up and felt MUCH better than I expected. My neck was very sore, but not as sore as I suspected it would be. My doctor had told me to try and stay active so I didn't stiffen up and make it worse. So, Trav and I decided to take a rafting trip! It was beautiful weather!We got on the river at 10, and until about noon it was a great temp! At about noon it heated up a lot! It had to be in the 90's! We got off the river at 2:30, and went to a bbq at Travis parents. Very yummy hamburgers, baked beans, greek salad, iced tea, and fruit!! Then we went to cold stone creamery, and left at 5:30 for a bbq at my parents! We got there at 6, had some wine and chatted, and at 7:30 we bbq'd some hot dogs and corn on the cob! It was very good! We headed into Albany at 8:30 to get a spot for the fireworks.
The fireworks were great! It was an awesome finale!!
We got home at 10:30, and my brother hung out with us until I finally had to kick him out after midnight! I was so tired and I knew 6:30 would come very early! I felt like an old fogey telling him he had to go because I needed my sleep!
Anyway, there were still fireworks going off until about 1am. I think thats when I finally fell asleep.
It's back to work today. It was nice having Wednesday off! It's great having a day off right in the middle of the week. It makes to go by so much faster.
We're supposed to go camping this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it! I love camping, and I've only been a few times. Last year we started, and now we have a tent, sleeping bags, and air mattress, and a big cooler! All things we didn't have until we started camping last summer! We still would like a grill, a fan, and a lantern!
Well, I need to get back to work. Enjoy the rest of this short week! If you see any good deals on cars, let me know!! I'll be looking! Probably in the $3000 - $4000 range!

No comments: